Friday, April 13, 2012

You and I

I often consider the use of first person in writing
and--like a man who looks in the mirror & turns away to forget what he sees--
come to no conclusions about who I am during this play of words.

Mistaken, I think that I can be this shiny trophy of phrases & clauses.
But the best avatar is the version that transcends the personal,
like Dante’s assent of Purgatory:
from the first level to the second,
from first person to second,
from pride to envy, 
a translation occurs. 

The trick of translation is the hard part,
but when the first becomes the second,
then it will be satisfactory.   

2 comments:

  1. all this is so cool and hip don't let fred armasen see it. he might make a portlandia episode about it. comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Amazing! Such a grand idea. I love it. Keep up the amazingness (not that that'll be hard).

    ReplyDelete