Monday, June 24, 2013

Move on or stay and work things out?

Man, I'm currently at a loss for what I should do with my novel. As I begin the steps towards publication, the more I begin to question if my book is ready. And if it's not ready now, I  have to wonder if it will ever be ready. Then I wonder if I will ever be prepared for the rejection that comes with attempting to publish. After an afternoon of these ideas tumbling over and over in my mind, I just want to give it up and start working on another novel, or better yet, stop writing and go do something I'm good at like napping or video games.

So here I am writing about how I want to quit writing. This whole novel thing reminds me of being obsessed with a girl that treats you like crap. I don't want to be the teen-aged version of myself who is holding on to a girl that I've made into an ideal. I remember thinking things like: "If I stick around long enough, she'll see what it is that makes me so perfect for her." Meanwhile, all my friend are thinking (not saying, mind you) that I'm crazy and I need to (if I may borrow the words of Garth Algar) "get over it and go out with somebody else." 

Basically, I cannot stop wondering if I should just dump my first novel and go out with someone else? I mean it is my first novel. It can't be that great--chances are it mediocre at best. It's a first. Firsts are always a little awkward. Maybe I should move on for a while and come back on her when I've got some real perspective. Like many past girlfriends, with enough time, a girl I once idolized can become an embarrassing blemish on my dating record.

But it really hard to stop thinking that  if I had just one more chance, just one more run, it could all work out.........





2 comments:

  1. A thought, if I may. If you write something different (genre-wise or simply content-wise), that's a wider range of experience to look back with.
    You wrote a novel, though, and no one can take that away no matter how far you do or don't go with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to write some fiction that isn't literary, but it's scary to move out of my comfort zone. But I guess that's the point.

    ReplyDelete