Monday, December 2, 2013

NaNoWriMo 2013: The Sophomore Slump


So I did it again. I subjected myself to 30 days of committed writing on a singular work, and I wrote a large part of a novel. I went into NaNoWriMo this year with a few different goals some of which I achieved and some of which I failed to fulfill. My main goals were as follows: 
  1. No literary fiction this time. I wanted to try something outside of my wheelhouse.  
  2. 2000 words a day for total of 60K (last year's goal was 50K)
  3. A multi-perspective story


1. So I didn't write a literary fiction novel. I settled--without much thought--on a post economic/technological distopian. I know, I know, I know--I went from a genre that no one writes much anymore to one that everyone is writing. It's what came out when I started, and I stuck to my guns--even if they were the trendiest guns on the block (if I may used a mixed metaphor). Success. 

2. I started out at about 2000 words a day, but as the month progressed--and my novel seemed not to progress--I went down to the normal 1600+ a day. My original goal was 60K and I ended up with 50K and a novel that I don't know what to do with. Failure. 

3. I wrote a majority of the month with two main protagonists and got about 40K into my novel before I had to put one of the characters aside. I was splitting my focus and was having trouble keeping things straight. I finished the last leg of the month writing from only one character's perspective. If I ever get back to the novel, I plan to finish both perspectives. That's a big if. Right now, I feel like tossing the whole thing out the window. Success--kind of.  

I have more to say about the month. I have frustrations that must be vented and victories that must be shared. I have a half-written, unpublished blog post when I thought I was quitting in the middle of the month. I have a half finished dystopian novel that I'm unsure about. BUT I do know that I  pushed through and finished the minimal goal for the month. I don't know if it means that I'm just stubborn or if I had something that needed to be written. I guess in a month or two (or ten?), I'll have a better perspective on the whole thing.  

For now, I plan to catch up on some reading and some games of the video persuasion. A month away from writing sounds good. My creative tank is dry and I need some normal life to help fill it up. Or maybe I just want to reward myself for pushing through to the almost finish line. 

Things to do:
1. Read a new novel.
2. Reread an old novel.
3. Play video games.
4. Not work on a novel.
5. Blog or write for the sake of blogging or writing.
6. Not wakeup at 4:30 to work on a novel before my boys need to get ready for school.
7. Catch up on work. It's an accreditation year. 

1 comment: