Thursday, February 6, 2014

My Thoughts on Derek (the TV show)

Full disclosure, I really like Ricky Gervais's tv shows, but I don't care for his public persona or his stand up. I've watched a lot of what he has put out, and I've learned to ignore his public character. I get it. He's pulling a Kaufman. His pointed and obscene comments are a part of the public persona of Gervais. It's the Gervais that sell. I don't really like it, but I do like his series. Ultimately, I always give his works a shot because I know what he's capable of. I mean, come on, he created The Office, which is one of the best series created. And his other stuff up to this point (Extras, Life's Too Short, and The Ricky Gervais Show) has been of varying quality--ranging form okay to pretty stinking good.

Derek, on the other hand, is the greatness that I've been waiting for since The Office.

Because of all his public posturing--which in a way is brilliant posturing, if that's your thing--I feel like Gervais created Derek to prove that he has a heart. Derek, the titular protagonist, is the epitome of goodness. He the the archetype of human compassion, and the season one finale made it abundantly clear that goodness is at the heart of this character.

If you don't know what the show is about, let me fill you in. Derek, a worker with an unstated mental illness (most likely some form of autism), hangs out with his coworkers/friends at the retirement home where they work. The home eventually loses its funding, and the workers have to rally together to ensure that the home stays open for the sake of the residents. But this plot is merely background for the characters to bond. The show is about relationships and death and life. Each major and minor character has his or her own arc, and they are really well done and important to the show, but for sake of time, I'm going to limit my topic to Derek. 

Derek's character truly shines in the season one finale, which literally left me crying. I'm pretty stoic when it comes to entertainment, so it says something about how great the show when have an outward response. I won't spoil anything, but there is something so vulnerable about his character that gives the show an emotional rawness that reminds me of The Office. 

Derek is also shot in the same documentary style as The Office with interviews and people taking glances at the camera. This works in the show's favor, giving it a sense of reality that is missing in traditional sitcoms. Also, the acting is great. Gervais commits to his character. And while he can occasionally over do it, his acting is normally spot on. 

In short, it's a great show. No, it's a step above great. It's a Netflix Original, so if you have a Netflix subscription, you don't have a reason not to give it a shot. There are only seven episodes and each episode is only 22-25 minutes. Go out and enjoy it. 

1 comment: